Company: System One
Posted on: November 22, 2021
System One is seeking a talented and self-motivated Packaging
Equipment Engineer/Industrial Engineer to work or our client in
Champaign, IL! -- This is a great opportunity to get involved on
challenging and interesting design projects for various
long-lasting clients. -- The Packaging Engineer is responsible for
how the packaging line is laid out from the conveyor systems
through to how the ---product--- makes its way through the entire
packaging process.-- Looks at how to make the product (primary
package-already supplied by the client) move down the line, be
filled, capped, and labeled and then conveyed into containers.
Packaging Engineer Responsibilities: --
- Oversee and manage complete packaging line designs, including
understanding throughput rates, equipment capabilities, line layout
requirements, integration of a variety of packaging equipment, and
performance of the individual components.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving
designs and processes and provide creative, timely, and
- Work with internal and external resources and packaging
suppliers to achieve functional packaging equipment goals.
- Work with internal engineering disciplines, client project and
packages resources and packaging equipment OEMs to achieve the
functional packaging goals.
- Strong mechanical knowledge of packaging materials
- Intermediate understanding of packaging control systems,
including photo eyes, diverts, stops.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with various pneumatic,
electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis and effectively initiate
immediate corrective action.
- Working knowledge and ability to utilize personal computers and
- Ability to understand specification sheets, PLC---s, control
logic and schematics.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of equipment to
determine special handling, environmental and safety requirements,
and types of materials required.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation;
evaluate and select packaging equipment suppliers/vendors;
periodically conduct vendor reviews; perform Factory Acceptance
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product
management, operations, and sourcing.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to
packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to
develop and validate packaging lines.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that
production exceeds customer specifications.
- Must have knowledge of packaging materials and an understanding
of how different equipment functions with the different materials
(glass versus plastic, glue versus pressure-sensitive labels,
etc.). Packaging Engineer Requirements: --
- Knowledge of PLC---s - Programmable Logic Controllers- (example
Allen Bradley) and ability to understand how to logically integrate
the line to produce a finished ready to ship product.--
- Understand how to layout conveyor lines involving PLC---s
- 10-15 years of engineering experience in industrial or consumer
- Self-starter with initiative and ability to complete
engineering deliverables and tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prepare design
calculations, technical documents, and drawings.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, are technically savvy, have a
positive ---can do--- attitude, don---t mind travel, and are very
- Attention to detail, an ability and willingness to learn
quickly and a talent in managing internal relationships as well as
- Strong communication skills required to provide effective
inter-discipline, client, and vendor coordination on projects.
- Availability for field assignments involving travel to sites
involving work in industrial/packaging facilities.
- Highly motivated with ability to work in an interactive and
open team environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate project management skills and
- Must be US Citizen due to nature of work. Preferred
- Demonstrable proficiency in CAD software, including 3D
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement
concepts is needed; ISO 9001 certification (e.g., CQA, CQE,
- Project Management Certification
- Candidates who have worked in Food and Beverage (Hershey,
Henkel, Kraft, M&M, etc.) as well as Medical/Pharma are best
fit for role. Physical Demands: -- Employee will be required to
communicate in person, via telephone, email, use of arm/hand
steadiness, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, multi limb
coordination, oral expression, and comprehension. May be required
to lift, carry, and move objects safely. Good reasoning ability is
required to solve a wide range of business problems. Able to apply
statistical calculations, analysis of variance, correlation
techniques, and sampling theory as well as algebra, linear
equations, and other analytics as required. Able to understand and
utilize management reports and plans to conduct business. Work
Environment: -- Work will be a combination of general office
environment and light industrial locations @ client or OEM sites.
At client sites, noise levels will be moderate to high,
temperatures varying from 40F to 100F, both dry and wet
environments, small to large equipment/traffic, floor-level and
elevated work platforms, and grinding/welding/machine shop
environments. The above description covers the fundamental
responsibilities of the Engineer IV Mechanical (Contractor)
position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all
miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required
Keywords: System One, Champaign , Packaging Engineer, Engineering , Champaign, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!