Director of Nursing
Company: Petersen Health Care
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Job DescriptionTo plan, organize, develop and direct the overall
operation of our Nursing Service Department in accordance with
current federal, state and local standards, guidelines, and
regulations that govern our facility and as may be directed by the
Administrator and the Medical Director to ensure that he highest
degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the
nursing service department, as well as its programs and activities,
in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that
govern the long-term care facility.
- Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the
Administrator, as necessary/required, concerning the operation of
the nursing service department.
- Develop methods for coordination of nursing services with other
services to ensure the continuity of the residents' total regimen
- Develop, implement, and maintain an ongoing quality assurance
program for the nursing service department.
- Participate in surveys made by authorized government
- Assist the Quality Assurance Committee in developing and
implementing appropriate plans of action to correct identified
- Assist in planning the nursing services portion of the
resident's discharge plan.
- Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms,
reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc., as
- Determine the staffing needs of the nursing service department
necessary to meet the nursing needs of the residents.
- Recommend the number and level of nursing personnel to be
- Assist the Administrator in the recruitment and selection of
nursing service personnel.
- Ensure that all nursing assistants are enrolled in or have
graduated from an approved training program.
- Assign a sufficient number of licensed practical and/or
registered nurses for each tour of duty to ensure that quality care
- Assign a sufficient number of certified nursing assistants for
each tour of duty to ensure that routine nursing care is provided
to meet the daily nursing care needs of the residents.
- Develop work assignments and schedule shift hours, and/or
assist nursing staff in completing and performing such tasks.
- Make daily rounds of the nursing service departments to ensure
that all nursing service personnel are performing their work
assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of
nursing care personnel are on duty at all times.
- Maintain procedures for ensuring that professional nursing
personnel, including private duty nurses, have valid and current
licenses as required by this state.
- Review complaints and grievances made or filed by department
- Make appropriate reports to the Administrator as required or as
may be necessary, including departmental performance
- Ensure that disciplinary action is administered fairly and
- Participate in the screening of residents for admission to the
- Provide the Administrator with information relative to the
nursing needs of the resident and the nursing service department's
ability to meet those needs.
- Inform nursing service personnel of new admissions, their
expected time of arrival, room assignment, etc.
- Ensure that rooms are ready for admissions.
- Make rounds with physicians as necessary. Schedule physician
visits as necessary.
- Encourage attending physicians to record and sign progress
notes, physicians' orders, etc., on a timely basis and in
accordance with current regulations.
- Ensure that direct nursing care be provided by a licensed
nurse, a CNA qualified to perform the procedure.
- Review nurses' notes to ensure that they are informative and
descriptive of the nursing care being provided, that they reflect
the resident's response to the care, and that such care is provided
in accordance with the resident's wishes.
- Schedule daily rounds to observe residents and to determine if
nursing needs are being met in accordance with the resident's
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to ensure
that medications are being administered as ordered and that
treatments are provided as scheduled.
- Provide direct nursing care as necessary.
- Authorize the use of restraints when necessary and in
accordance with our established policies and procedures.
- Implement and monitor programs (falls, skins, weights, etc.,)
in accordance with our established policies and procedures.Staff
- Develop and participate in the planning, conducting, and
scheduling of timely in-service training classes that provide
instructions on "how to do the job", and ensure a well-educated
nursing service department.
- Implement and maintain an effective orientation program that
orients the new employee to the facility, its policies and
procedures, and to his/her job position and duties.
- Develop in-service training programs for the nursing staff.
Ensure that these programs meet the identified quality issues and
employee specific issues.
- Ensure that in-services are conducted to address the recognized
annual mandatory training required.
- Attend and participate in educational programs designed to keep
you abreast of changes in your profession.
- Provide education to facility staff on material obtained
through company and outside educational seminars.Care Plan and
- Assist in developing a written plan of care for each resident
that identifies the problems/needs of the resident, indicates the
care to be given, goals to be accomplished, and which professional
service is responsible for each element of care.
- Ensure that all personnel involved in providing care to the
resident are aware of the resident's care plan. Ensure that nursing
personnel refer to the resident's care plan.
- Review nurses' notes to determine if the care plan is being
- Ensure that medical and nursing care is administered in
accordance with the resident's wishes, including the implementation
of advanced directives.Resident Rights
- Maintain the confidentiality of all resident care
- Monitor nursing care to ensure that all residents are treated
fairly and with kindness, dignity and respect.
- Ensure that all nursing service personnel are knowledgeable of
the residents' responsibilities and rights including the right to
- Review complaints and grievances made by the resident and make
a written/oral report to the Administrator indicating what
action(s) were taken to resolve the complaint or grievance. Follow
facility's established procedures.
- Maintain a written record of the resident's complaints and/or
grievances that indicates the action taken to resolve the complaint
and the current status of the complaint.
- Report and investigate all allegations of resident abuse and/or
misappropriation of resident property.
- Ensure that nursing staff personnel honor the resident's
refusal of treatment request. Ensure that such requests are in
accordance with the facility's policies governing advance
- Keep abreast of economic conditions/situations and recommend to
- Administrator adjustments in nursing services that ensure the
continued ability to provide quality care.
- Ensure the medical supply budget does not exceed approved
- Ensure nursing and CNA budget hours do not exceed approved
- Ensure nursing service schedule is adjusted as necessary to
maintain minimal or no overtime hours.
- Provide the Administrator with adequate information to justify
increases or overages of budgeted amounts.Safety and Equipment
- Ensure that all personnel performing tasks that involve
potential exposure to blood/body fluids participate in an
in-service training program yearly.
- Ensure that adequate supplies of personal protective equipment
are on hand and are readily available to personnel who perform
procedures that involve exposure to blood or body fluids.
- Monitor nursing service personnel to ensure that they are
following established safety regulations in the use of equipment
- Ensure that nursing service work areas (i.e., nurses'stations,
medication rooms, etc.) are maintained in a clean and sanitary
- Ensure that all nursing service personnel follow established
departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure that nursing service personnel participate in and
conduct all fire safety and disaster preparedness drills in a safe
and professional manner.
- Implement and maintain the facility program for monitoring
communicable and/or infectious diseases, including TB, among the
residents and personnel.
- Ensure that nursing service personnel follow established
infection control procedures when isolation precautions become
- Ensure that personnel wear and/or use safety equipment and
supplies (i.e., back brace, lifter, etc.) when lifting or moving
- Report and investigate workers compensation claims per facility
- Recommend to the Administrator the equipment and supply needs
of the department.
- Ensure that a stock level of medications, medical supplies,
equipment, etc., is maintained on premises at all times to
adequately meet the needs of the resident.
- Ensure that only trained and authorized personnel operate the
- Ensure that all personnel operate nursing service equipment in
a safe manner.
- Monitor to ensure nursing service supplies are used in an
efficient manner to avoid waste.
- Ensure that personal protective equipment used in the handling
of infectious materials is available and easily accessible to
nursing service personnel.Required Skills
- Preferably has a year of experience as a supervisor in a
hospital, long term care facility, or other related health care
- Be able to read and follow written directions
- Must possess a current, unencumbered, active license to
practice as a Registered Nurse in this state.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when
circumstances warrant such action.
- Be able to communicate with residents and co-workers in
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel,
residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel
and the general public.
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement,
and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and
procedures, etc., that are necessary for providing quality
- Work overtime as necessary
Keywords: Petersen Health Care, Champaign , Director of Nursing, Healthcare , Champaign, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!