Surgical Assistant - OR
Posted on: May 26, 2023
The Surgical Assistant functions as an integral part of the
perioperative team as the assistant to the surgeon. Functions when
required as the first or second surgical technician or second
circulator under the direct supervision of the RN.
- Applies the principles of asepsis in a knowledgeable manner to
maintain a sterile environment. Demonstrates competency in select
technical and psychomotor skills, judgment and appropriate
knowledge base. Provides age specific care to obstetrical patients
in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the
- Assists in organization and coordination of supplies and
equipment to maintain an efficient and cost effective
- Initiates appropriate intraoperative behavior unique to first
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, co-workers and self.
Demonstrates awareness of and adherence to safety and legal
requirements established at the hospital and unit level and
established policies and procedures.
- Applies knowledge of normal and pathologic anatomy and
- Performs scrubbing duties as needed.
- Performs preceptor duties.
- Charges for equipment and supplies.
- Assists nurse in planning patient care.
- Effectively operates autoclave sterilization units
- Assists in room turnover.
- Applies principles of asepsis to maintain sterility during
surgical set up and procedure
- Knows anatomy and physiology
- Assist with supplies, equipment, and positioning of patient for
- Knowledgeable of closure techniques and can perform closure of
all layers of skin
- Scrubbing duties to include classes for Medical Students,
Residents, and other students.
- Knowledgeable of assisting surgeons during procedure i.e.
suctioning, tying, camera holding, retracting, etc.
Keywords: CARLE, Champaign , Surgical Assistant - OR, Healthcare , Champaign, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...